Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Three days of torture

I've been a good girl - really.  I have spent the past three days diligently tracking my caloric intake, exercise, and giving myself positive reinforcement through SC (silent cheerleading - it's a movement I have started but not yet publicized until now).  SC involves dispensing with the negative self-talk (your jeans are tight! you're getting cellulite!  nobody follows your blog!) to focusing on the positive (they shrunk in the wash!  I'll buy that magic cream from TV!  Dad follows my blog!).

So far, the SC has been minimally effective and I have found the most effective way to stay motivated is to picture myself at the finish line.  In Vegas.  In a flattering outfit.  With a cheesecake.  However, if you are going to engage in SC outside the privacy of your home, please remember to refrain from moving your lips as you construct your uplifting, positive self-talk.  At the gym yesterday I had a few people look askance at me as I silently mouthed "you go guuurl!" and "she's waaaay bigger than you!" while pumping my fists in a boxing motion on the elliptical.  People are so uncomfortable around anyone who's different.  Geez.

Today I spent 80 minutes on cardio and 20 on weightlifting.  The weightlifting portion of the workout consisted of lifting a small weight in the form of a wine glass up and  down, up and down, you get the drift.  My trainer tells me low weight, high repetition will give me the greatest result, so I am just following orders.  By May I should be toned, trimmed, and residing at the Betty Ford Center.

I kid!  I kid!  I would never drink excessively while dieting or engage in BUI (blogging under the influence).

Because Friday is the Rose Bowl, and because the Ducks make it to the Rose Bowl about as often as we get a blue moon on New Year's Eve, I am forsaking the strict meal plan and making a pork ragu ziti, recipe below.  It is not even remotely healthy.  However, I feel strongly that people like me more when I cook this dish.  Love me, even.  Try it, you'll like it.

Finally, I'd like to note that beauty is on the inside, not the outside.  You have no idea how gorgeous I am.  I'm Claudia Schiffer if you turn me inside out.  I've been working with my neighborhood plastic surgeon to figure out how to do that, but he suggests I explore Botox and liposuction in the meantime.  Whatever.



Baked Ziti with Spicy Pork and Sausage Ragù


2 tablespoons olive oil

4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta,* chopped

2 pounds Boston butt (pork shoulder), cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes

1 pound Italian hot sausages, casings removed

2 cups chopped onions

3/4 cup chopped carrots

3/4 cup chopped celery

6 large fresh thyme sprigs

6 large garlic cloves, chopped

2 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

2 cups dry red wine

1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes in juice, tomatoes chopped, juice reserved



1 1/4 pounds ziti pasta

2 cups (packed) coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese



Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and sauté until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to bowl. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Add half of pork to drippings in pot; sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl with pancetta. Repeat with remaining pork. Add sausage to same pot. Sauté until no longer pink, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add wine and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add pancetta and pork with any accumulated juices; boil 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice. Cover and cook until pork is very tender, adjusting heat as needed to maintain gentle simmer and stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.


Uncover pot; tilt to 1 side and spoon off fat from surface of ragù. Gently press pork pieces with back of fork to break up meat coarsely. Season ragù to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over low heat before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish or other 4-quart baking dish. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; mix into ragù. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper; transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle both cheeses over. Bake until heated through and golden, about 20 minutes.

No comments: