Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Last Supper (for a while)

Light night it was our pleasure to host all three of Tom's kids (plus JT's girlfriend Rachel) for what will be our last dinner all together for a while.  Kendall leaves today to go back to Moscow and JT will head back to Arizona in a week.  I'll miss them.  Taylor remains in Portland, and has agreed to take down our Christmas tree for $20.  It seems like money well spent.

My father gave me this recipe and I am passing it along to you.  However, I have changed the name (sorry, Dad).  Originally, it was called "Chicken Ali Bab."  I have renamed it "Freedom Chicken."  I'm sorry, but I just can't say "Chicken Ali Bab" without laughing and picturing Lawrence of Arabia careening around on a camel.  Also (or "and also, too," as my friend Sarah Palin would say), I have a little bit of a problem cooking food with a name that sounds even remotely middle-eastern.  Ever since the muslim extremists started flying our planes into buildings and trying to light their underwear on fire while seated on a commercial aircraft, I am careful not to do anything that would appear to support terrorism.  Finally, I think Dad meant to call the recipe "Chicken Ali Baba," even though there is no (open) sesame in this dish.  Ha ha. 

Actually, he claims Ali Bab was a famous french chef in the 19th Century, but since I have never heard of him, and google seems to not know who he is, I question this information.

A few notes on this recipe:
1. I found it took longer than 50 minutes to cook, but that may be because I had closer to 7 1/2 pounds of chicken crammed into my le creuset;
2. I added a little extra olive oil; and
3. I broiled the chicken at the very end to get it a little extra brown and crispy.  It did not dry the chicken at all.

CHICKEN ALI BAB (FREEDOM CHICKEN)


6 lbs chicken thighs or combined breasts and thighs
2 tablespoons coriander
2 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lemon, sliced very thin
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup olive oil
¾ cup shelled pistachio nuts
16 shallots, peeled and halved
3 tablespoons ginger marmalade
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dried apricots
½ cup dried prunes

¾ cup white wine
2/3 cup packed brown sugar

Fresh cilantro for garnish

Combine all ingredients except chicken, wine and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.

Divide chicken pieces between 2 gallon plastic zip-lock bags and pour half of the mixed ingredients in each bag along with the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour chicken and marinade into large flat baking dish. Arrange the chicken bone side down in one layer.  Pour the wine over the chicken and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 50 minutes, basting several times with pan juices.

Remove chicken pieces and the lemon slices and set on a platter. Cover with foil and place in a warm (200 degree) oven.

Thicken the sauce with 2-3 tablespoons corn starch whisked in. Boil gently until the sauce is thick. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve the remaining sauce in a pitcher.

2 comments:

The Angry Rainbow said...

Your Dad is not yanking your chain. Julia Child mentions a chef named Ali Bab in her memoir, "My Life in France" (A great read by the way). Apparently, he was some sort of Big Shot Chef in the early part of the last century. Recipe sounds good. I would try it if i ate chicken but haven't been able to since i keep them as pets now.

Robin DesCamp said...

Yeah, I feel the same way about dog lately.